A wicked big thanks

to my FOs who believed in me, to Daniel for convincing me, to Allison who gave me a chance to do something right, to my friends for never giving up on me, to my family for agreeing to love me the way I am, to Wink for inspiring me, and to you for reading and supporting my blog.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wikipedia = Legit

blog response....?

When doing research for my response to the Dating a Banker Anonymous reading I stumbled across a blog entry about the use of Wikipedia in academic settings. My professors always make a point of telling our classes to never use Wikipedia. Most academics refuse to use it as any kind of source. Unfortunately for them the new generation of students have grown up wired and understand the benefits of making the knowledge of the world OpenSource.

The ability to build something like Wikipedia which now has sourcing and notifications if information seems dodgy, is utterly astonishing. By building it in the public domain and making it publicly accessible then all of a sudden the ability to instantly add new pop culture pheonmena, update information, add statistics, and tweak and finetune vast quantities of information instantly. How freaking cool is that?

I love this particular blog post because it addresses the four major arguments against using Wikipedia and effectively neuters them. It's worth a read.

The post is here at the Digital Scholarship in the Humanities blog.


In short: We Win!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment