A wicked big thanks

to my FOs who believed in me, to Daniel for convincing me, to Allison who gave me a chance to do something right, to my friends for never giving up on me, to my family for agreeing to love me the way I am, to Wink for inspiring me, and to you for reading and supporting my blog.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Violence and activism...

Reading response for week...5?

When reading "Threatened into Silence" I was particularly shocked by the graphic nature of the violence threatened. I always forget how astoundingly violent the world of activism can be especially in the age of Web 2.0 which allows for almost complete anonymity.

I commend Kim for her absolute bravery in the face of what can honestly be called terrorism. I appreciate that the web allows for people who are scared to take a vocal stand. It provides a place for people who are still processing to continue that process in a more vocal way without direct confrontation. Sadly it also allows cowards and seriously disturbed people to entertain violent fantasies.

I know what it's like to have anonymous individuals threaten sexual assault on you. I've worked in two different customer service call centers and there was one particular experience that emotionally scarred me. It involved a customer using my own name in a sexual manner and my not being allowed to hang up on him so I had to listen to him. It felt like I was sexually assaulted, verbally. My superiors did nothing. That was the last call I took.

In so many cases this verbal or written semi-anonymous abuse is tolerated because it "isn't real." As a survivor of verbal and psychological abuse by a teacher I will vouch that words are as real as actions if repeated enough. My teacher never touched me but I still have scars from the things that were said.

I'm so angry that a tool, a resource as wonderful as the web can be used as a place of hatred and violence. I think there is so much work that can be done to improve the emotional safety of the web and the security of personal information.

Until these things are fixed I think that bloggers like Kim who persist despite the threats and hatred are to be recognized as women of great strength.

I'll happily admit that I'm a huge weenie and would have bailed long ago were I in her place.

No comments:

Post a Comment