A wicked big thanks

to my FOs who believed in me, to Daniel for convincing me, to Allison who gave me a chance to do something right, to my friends for never giving up on me, to my family for agreeing to love me the way I am, to Wink for inspiring me, and to you for reading and supporting my blog.

Monday, March 30, 2009

a side note to the reading response II

In reading through the articles I was struck, rather amusingly, by something that was mentioned in the introduction. When talking about growing up as a feminist Traister mentioned reading Kate Chopin's "The Awakening" which doesn't seem like much to most people but mattered greatly to me.

It's a bizarre and possibly unnecessary point to make but it reminded me of a rather heated debate I got into with my English teacher when we were analyzing "The Awakening". The main argument being made was that the protagonist committed suicide because she was abandoned by the man with whom she had fallen in love. My argument was that it was not the loss of her love but rather the realization that she was living in a world that would not permit her to live as an independent and intellectual being. She could not have an equal intellectual relationship with men as she seemed to want. We never reached an agreement. It is a point of contention that remains to this day.

Debates like these are one of the reasons I love the internet and particularly the blogosphere: they allow for a continuation and expansion of debate to include more voices and allow for more ideas to be introduced. It is through debates like these that policy is honed and improved, causes and activists are kept fresh and sharp, in short they prevent the ideas from devolving into empty rhetoric. That's kind of important. Just a little.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post. As an English prof, I find it shocking to hear of a reading of Chopin that reduces it to what I've heard called a "Midnight Train to Georgie" narrative ("I'd rather live in his world/Than live without him in mine."). Culturally in the West for at least 3 centuries, this is also how Sappho has been cast. She is held up as this so-called proto-lesbian image, but the ideology has been to make it very clear, she took her life for the loss of a man. Sappho killed herself (in a death leap from the Leucadian cliffs) for her desperate love of Phaon (I think he's supposed to be a fisherman).

    ReplyDelete